Glaucoma is a disease that damages your optic nerve when fluid builds up in the front of your eye and increases the pressure. This is the most common type of glaucoma called Primary Open Angle Glaucoma and is painless and causes no vision changes at first. This so it is important to have regular eye exams and testing-especially if you are over 40 or someone in your family has glaucoma! The only sure way to diagnose glaucoma is with a complete eye exam. A glaucoma screening that only checks eye pressure is not enough to find glaucoma. During a glaucoma exam, we will:
- Measure your eye pressure-called tonometry.
- Inspect your eye’s drainage angle-called gonioscopy.
- Examine your optic nerve for damage with a special lens
- Test your peripheral (side) vision-called visual field testing.
- Take a computer measurement of your optic nerve-called OCT.
- Measure the thickness of your cornea-called pachymetry.
These tests are part of your complete eye exam with glaucoma testing and give your eye doctor the necessary information to provide early detection and diagnose glaucoma. With early detection, diagnosis and treatment vision loss from glaucoma can be prevented. If you or someone you know has not had recent eye exam with glaucoma testing please schedule one at Tenafly Eye Associates at 201-567-5995, visit Tenafly Eye Associates or Facebook
Tenafly Eye Associates is a comprehensive eye care practice staffed by NJ ophthalmologist eye doctors and eye specialists located at 111 Dean Drive, Tenafly, New Jersey 070670, 201-567-5995, an affiliate of Prism Vision Group.